Summary of the Board of Education June 12, 2019 Meeting
The June 12 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
· Promoted Robyn Scroggins, Regional Instructional Manager II, Special Education to Manager II/Principal I, Addicott Elementary School
· Promoted Kaleb Neufeld, Analyst II Fiscal Services to Director, Fiscal Services
· Promoted Traci Taylor, Manager II Teacher Development to Director (General) Teacher Development
· Promoted Rosalinda Torres, Vice Principal I, Leavenworth Elementary to Principal II, Ewing Elementary
· Promoted Rachael Maciel, Vice Principal III, Bullard High School to Principal III, DeWolf High School
· Hired Sean Virnig, Executive Director, Special Education
· Hired Johnny Alvarado, Principal V, Bullard High School
· Consensus was reached on a conceptual agreement with FTA and the parties will come back to ratify the Tentative agreement at a later date.
Next, Ms. Laurie Momjian, Campus Culture Director from Bullard High School led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Next, the board of education recognized the Bullard High Lacrosse Team- Fresno City Champions and Edison High Girls Track Team—State qualifying 4 x 400m relay team, State qualifying and Valley Champion runner Kennedy Jennings.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
· Recognizing tonight’s last regularly scheduled board meeting and all the end of the year activities and graduations. Superintendent shared a short video showcasing the district’s various graduation celebrations.
· Fresno Unified held its annual retirement dinner last Friday night. In total, Fresno Unified is saying good bye to 266 retirees over the course of the next few weeks. This group of retirees represents 6,594 years of service to the students of the District. The District honored a little more than 60 of those retirees last Friday night showing our appreciation alongside families and colleagues.
· Superintendent went on to recognize three long time District administrators who are leaving after decades of service—instructional superintendent, Melissa Dutra (20 years); assistant superintendent of English Language Services, Maria Maldonado (33 1/2 years); and Sally Fowler, executive director of College and Career Readiness (34 years)
· Nelson recognized Instructional Superintendent Ed Gomes who was recently celebrated at the California State Capitol as part of Portuguese Heritage month.
· Nelson acknowledged the hard work by staff over the last several months in preparing our 2019-20 fiscal budget. With guidance from our Deputy Superintendent and Chief Financial Officer Ruth Quinto, the board has in front of them tonight a solid plan that supports academic achievement while providing both student and employee resources.
· Lastly, Superintendent wished everyone a safe and relaxing summer and turned the meeting back over to the board president.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
· Approved Personnel List
· Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of the District Administrative Board
· Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
· Adopted, with revisions, Resolution in Support of Encouraging a Fragrance Free Environment for Employees, Students and Visitors.
· Adopt Declaration of Need for Fully Qualified Educators
· Adopted Resolution 18-25 Authorizing inter-Fund Loans for Cash Flow Purposes
· Approved Addendum No. 2 and Addendum No. 3 to the Master Agreement with Fresno City College (FCC)/State Center Community College District to Allow Fresno Unified to Use FCC Facilities for Design Science High School, and for FCC to Use the Current Design Science High School Campus.
· Approved Award of Bid 19-56, Renovations at Fresno City College for Design S Sections
· Approved Agreement with CORE for Shared Administrator Services and the Accompanying Employment Agreement Between Fresno Unified School District and Michelle Steagall, Associate Superintendent for School Leadership.
· Approved Agreement with Delta Health Systems/TeamCare
· Approved Amendment to Agreement with Anthem Blue Cross
· Approved 2019/20 Annual Membership Dues with the California School Boards Association/Education Legal Alliance, the Council of the Great City Schools, and the National School Boards Association Council of Urban Boards of Education
· Approved a Software as a Service Agreement with eCFIM Solutions for Maintenance Work Order System Improvements.
· Approved Award of Bid 19-51 Sections A, B and C—Mechanical Improvements for Various Schools: Malloch Elementary School, Tehipite Middle School and Bullard High School
· Approved Award of Bid 19-52 Sections B, D and E, Energy Management Controls Upgrades for Various Schools: Bullard Talent and Greenberg Elementary Schools and Terronez Middle School; and Reject Bid Sections A and C: Kratt and Manchester Elementary Schools
· Approved Award of Bid 19-55, Phoenix Secondary Academy Portable Infrastructure and Site Development
· Approved Foundation for California Community Colleges Agreement
· Approved Manager II, Social Emotional Support Salary Placement E-25, 215 Duty Days on the Management Salary Schedule, Designation as Management, Exempt
· Approved Proposed Revisions for Board Policies 0420, 0460, 1312.3, 5148.3, 6142.3 (NEW), and deletion of 0411
· Approved Renewal Agreement with Community Medical Providers Medical Group for Enhanced Primary Care Services for Employees, Retirees, Dependents and Spouses
· Approved Renewal Agreement with OptumInsight, Inc. for Health Plan Audit Services
· Approved the Special Education Annual Budget Plan, Service Plan, and Services Descriptions for 2019/20
· Approved Use of Individual Piggyback Contracts in 2019/20
· Denied Claim #GL17-0814-3199
· Ratified Amendment No. 2 to Agreement with Envision Insurance Company for Prescription Benefit Services
· Ratified Carl D. Perkins Applications for Funding
· Ratified Change Orders for the Projects Listed Below
o Bid 18-10, Construction of Building 100 for Figarden Elementary School
o Bid 18-25, Roosevelt High School Construction of New Aquatic Center
· Ratified the Filing of Notices of Completion
o Bid 18-42, McLane High School Quad Improvements
o Bid 19-13, Installation of Exterior Lighting for Various Middle Schools; Ahwahnee, Computech, Cooper, Fort Miller, Scandinavian, Tehipte, Tenaya, Tioga and Yosemite
· Ratified Grant Application to the California Department of Education for the 2019/20 Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Title II: Adult Education and Family Literacy Act
· Ratified Grant Award from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing-Teacher Residency Expansion Program
· Ratified Independent Contractor Service Agreement with Municipal Resources Group, LLC
Next, the Board of Education discussed and took action on the below conference/discussion agenda items:
· Discussed and Adopted Fresno Unified School District’s 2019/20 Local Control and Accountability Plan
· Discussed and Adopted Fresno Unified School District’s 2019/20 Proposed Budget and Education Protection Account
· Approved Annual Agreements for the 2019/20 School Year—Primary
· Approved Annual Agreements for the 2019/20 School Year—Supplemental Report
· Discussed and Adopted Resolution 18-23 Regarding the Issuance and Sale of General Obligation Bonds, Election of 2016 (Measure X), Series B, in the Aggregate Principal Amount of Not to Exceed $75,000,000 and Authorizing the Execution and Delivery of Documents and Actions in Connection Therewith
Next, the Board of Education received the below Information and Reports:
· Received Proposed Revisions for Existing Board Bylaws 9005 and 9130 and Drafts for Two Proposed Board Bylaws Regarding Complaints Concerning Board Members and Censure Policy and Procedures
The Board then recessed to closed session to discuss Public Employment/Appointment.
The following announcements were made out of Closed Session:
· Promoted Maria Ceballos Tapia, Manager II Preschool to Director of Early Learning
· Appointed Amy Idsvoog, Administrative Analyst, Communications to Executive Officer, Communications
Having no further business, the Board meeting was adjourned at 9:31 p.m.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is August 7, 2019 at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare Street in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://www.fresnounified.org/sites/board